February 22, 2011

Take the good with the bad...

Why is it that I can make Lobster Mac...but can't handle the simple task of making good ol' mac n cheese????? It was grainy...and liquidy...not exactly sure how it ended up that way but I didn't bother to take any pictures...even Matt said it was bad...and he eats ANYTHING...
FAIL!!!
Now that I have that of my chest...I can at least tell you about the good part of last nights "simple" dinner...brats cooked in beer with onions. There is something about the word bratwurst that gets under my skin...so brats is how I refer to them...and we don't cook them that often because I swear my parent's grill them like every other week in the Summer....so let's just say I get my fair share BUT Matt loves them, so I picked up a package the other day at the store.
Anyways...
Our good friend/neighbor/coworker (well, he is actually more like family) taught us this a few Summers ago and we haven't cooked them any different since. Including my parents, who usually has said *friend*cook them anyways...but last night, I cooked them inside on the stove and then browned them in a cast iron skillet. This weather has been so wacky and Matt has been really busy at the greenhouse, I knew he wouldn't want to mess with the grill.


*He works in our GA office but spends the Summer months working in Michigan with his wife, Betsy and their almost 3 year old son, Brody. My little buddy! They stay on my parents property in "the can" and we do dinner with them almost every night whether it be at our place, my parents or "the can".

So here it goes...sooooo EASY!
Stove Top Brats
adapted from : Steve B
1 package johnsonville brats
1 whole yellow onion, sliced
1 can/bottle beer, the cheaper the better
buns 
  1. Place brats in the bottom of a medium pan, top with onions and cover with the beer.
  2. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer approx 15 minutes.
  3. Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over high heat. Brown both sides of the brats and return to pan with onions & beer.
Printable Recipe!
    Serve with your favorite toppings and ENJOY! Hopefully with some better tasting mac n cheese than we had...!!!

    I had two out just in case I need more liquid...or in case I got thirsty...
    I'm getting pretty good at taking pictures with my left hand!
    Ready to brown...
    Make sure your pan is nice and HOT...
    Almost done...
    Back in the pan...
    Tada!

    Have a DELICIOUS day!!!














    Pin It

    3 comments:

    Comfy cuisine said...

    Awww don't worry about the mac and cheese...the brats look delicously browned and crispy!

    Eccentric Kitchen (Steph) said...

    Thanks! I will get the Mac n cheese down one day!!

    Mama J said...

    Did you use a hard and soft cheese combo? I've found if I only use hard it will end up grainy. I have a recipe posted that I make at least twice a week and the kids love it. No more 'Blue Box Mac' for us! :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...