February 23, 2011

Pan Seared Tuna Tuesday!!!

Tuna is quite possibly the EASIEST/QUICKEST fish to make in my book. Maybe it's because we only eat it raw or sear it for about 60 seconds on each side but hey whatever works...right?

I often serve pan seared tuna as appetizer by just seasoning it generously with Tony Chachere's, seared and sliced...but I remember preparing it this way over the summer and it was REALLY REALLY good. We only have a small hand full of sushi place around here and good tuna is hard to come by. Luckily Martin's generally always has it fresh in their seafood department and when they dont' they have "fresh" frozen in their seafood's freezer. So I usually always buy it when I go, so it has sort of become a staple in my freezer.

Last night I made a mixed greens salad with fried wontons and a ginger dressing to go with it...I was experimenting with the dressing and think I may have actually came up with something AMAZING! It was seriously...the.best.dressing.EVER! I was trying to recreate what they serve with the salads at Japanese Steakhouses and that I did. Maybe even a little better ;) 

Pan Seared Tuna 
adapted from : Simply Recipes

2 sashimi grade tuna steaks
1 bunch green onions, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon ginger paste or fresh grated
juice from 1/2 of a lime

In a small bowl mix the soy, ginger, lime and green onions. 
Place the tuna steaks in a zip lock or plastic container with a lid. 
Pour the mixture over the tuna steaks and make sure all sides are coated.
Seal and put in the fridge for 1 hour. Flipping over half way through.
Heat a medium non stick pan over high heat and spray with cooking spray. You want to make sure the pan is nice and HOT.
Place the tuna steaks on the hot pan and cook for 60 seconds, turn over and cook for an additional 60 seconds. 
Remove from pan and serve.

NOTE: THIS RECIPE IS FOR RARE. ADJUST COOKING TIME IF YOU PREFER OTHERWISE.



Ginger Soy Dressing
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon ginger paste

Whisk all ingredients together and serve with you favorite salad. 
I used mixed greens, green onions and topped it off with some crispy fried wontons! DELISH!!!



READY TO SERVE!!!

And in honor of National Margarita Day...
I had a Martini!!!

Cheers!


















Pin It

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good and the margarita sounds great, too! Your pictures make me hungry!

Jennifer said...

Wow! That looks delicious...(so does the martini!)

Unknown said...

Yum, Looks AWESOME Steph! Mmmmm

Eccentric Kitchen (Steph) said...

Thanks!

ksiobhanm99 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ksiobhanm99 said...

YUM! You should have made the Mexican Martini;)

claire said...

I love seared tuna... I recently did a great seasame crusted tuna... it was amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...