When I was in South Texas last year I found a one pot meals cookbook at TJ Maxx. I have been eying this particular recipe ever since I opened it and for some reason or another, never got around to actually making it or anything from the cookbook for that matter...I tried to find it online to show you but I can't find it anywhere! I should have taken a picture of it!!!
Here it goes!
Mexican Chicken, Chile & Potato Pot
adapted from : One Pot Meals Cookbook
2 tablespoons vegetable, canola or olive oil
1 package boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
1 whole yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 zucchini, diced
2-4 potatoes, depending on the size, diced
1-2 serranos or jalapenos, diced (serranos are a bit hotter than japs)
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups chicken stock
1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped and separated into two piles
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons tomato knorr**see note
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium/high heat and cook the chicken until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, zucchini and potatoes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next add the chicken stock, half of the cilantro, hot pepper, canned tomatoes, cumin, oregano, knorr**, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are no longer crisp.
- Serve with warm flour tortillas, fresh avocado slices and garnish with the remaining cilantro and ENJOY!
You can really do a lot with this dish. It would be great with fresh tomatoes instead of canned, green cabbage and the original recipe called for a sweet potato! I just used what I had on hand and it was DELISH!
**You can find tomato knorr in most grocery stores. It will be in the Mexican/Spanish foods section. It is a good staple to have on hand when cooking Mexican cuisine**
|NOT PICTURED: Oregano, canned tomatoes, knorr, oregano, cumin, salt & pepper|
Didn't use the red pepper, but I'm sure it would have been delish!
|Just don't make the same mistake I did...opened the wrong end of the oregano shaker!|
|Matt's...he had the right idea by adding the shredded cheese!|
I hope you guys like this!!! It is one of my new favorites!!
PS-It's my birthday today and I am spending my afternoon at the dentist...What was I thinking???