April 27, 2011

Turkey Joes

I have so many things I want to post about...but today, I have to tell you about Monday night's dinner...

The only way I have ever made sloppy joes was using Manwich and I'm not gonna lie...I LOVE the stuff. It's so tangy and simply delish! I knew I didn't have any in the pantry and in an effort to try and clean out my pantry...I decided to make my own. How hard could it be? Not very!!! I browsed around for ideas and came across a great recipe from none other than The Pioneer Woman herself. I changed it up quite bit and they were AWESOME!!! I know most recipes call for brown sugar, we don't really like it sweet, so I didn't even bother with it...and I added jalapenos and lots of Tabasco for some heat!

I'm sorry Manwich but I don't know if I will be able to continue our relationship...

Turkey Joes

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion, diced 
2 jalapenos, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups ketchup
3/4 to 1 cup water
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon A1 steak sauce
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Tabasco sauce, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
buns

Topping suggestions :
sliced cheese
diced onion
pickles
raw jalapenos
  1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey, onions, garlic and jalapenos. Cook until turkey is no longer pink. Approx 10 minutes.
  2. Add the ketchup, water, mustard, Worcestershire, A1 sauce, crushed red pepper, Tabasco, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20-30 minutes tasting along the way. You many want to add more Tabasco, salt and/or pepper depending on you taste.
  3. Serve on your favorite bun and ENJOY!
NOTE : This makes about 6 sandwiches.


NOT pictured..A1, garlic, salt, pepper and mustard...my bad!




Needed a tad more ketchup and mustard...


Onion buns are the way to go! Soooo goood!

Simply Delicioso!!!!!!!!!


You could easily substitute the ground turkey for beef...we at so much red meat over the weekend that I felt the need to give my arteries a bit of a rest! Post on that to come later...

I hope everyone has a fabulous day!!!
I will try to, despite the fact that it is raining...AGAIN...
Pin It

5 comments:

1,000 Apple Pies said...

Sounds deeee-lightful! We'll have to give it a shot. We're definitely fans of heat!

1,000 Apple Pies said...

BTW - this is Kate. No blog yet - working on it!!

Slice of Southern said...

This sounds delish! I love sloppy joes, and the use of turkey is very appealing! Love the touch of A1 as well!

Unknown said...

Steph,
So glad to see you joined in on Made it on Monday!

And let me tell you what...I am loving the "heat" in this dish!

Thank you so much for sharing.
I hope you will become a "regular" :)

http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM.... Did I mention YUM?? lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...