Anyways...last Friday we made homemade pizza again. I know I posted about pizza recently, which you can read about here, but I wasn't 100% satisfied with how I rolled the dough so I tried it again....but this time I went out on a limb and made a rustic pizza with egg. Yes, I said egg and I gotta tell ya, I could have eaten the whole thing myself...it was THAT good! I have seen it in a few food mags and thought to myself...I MUST try that!
I wasn't exactly sure how to go about it...so I googled "pizza with egg on top" and came across this blog and the rest is history....I changed mine up a bit but the sauce is the TRICK to making this superb!
Here we go...
Rustic Pizza Sauce
10-12 roma tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
salt & pepper, to taste
salt & pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice the romas lengthwise, remove seeds and roughly chop.
- Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over high heat. Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt & pepper.
- Using a potato masher, mash up the tomatoes and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
Rustic Pizza with Egg
1/2 lb pizza dough
1-2 cups rustic pizza sauce
1 cup Italian blend cheese, shredded
4-6 slices fresh mozzarella
4 basil leaves, torn
corn meal, if using a pizza stone
flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If using a pizza stone place stone in oven for 45 minutes.
- Roll out the dough very thin, place on a pizza peel.
- Top with the sauce, shredded mozzarella, mozzarella slices and basil.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on the HOT stone and transfer pizza to stone. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Pull out the pizza and crack two eggs on top, sprinkle with salt & pepper and continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let sit for a few minutes. Slice and serve!!!
At least the egg on the left looks perfect!
I HIGHLY recommend a piece with the gooey yolk.
Great, now I'm craving pizza...
Since I had a few cups of sauce left over I put it in the fridge and figured I could make a quick dinner with it on Monday...and that I did....
1 package chicken cutlets
2 cups rustic pizza sauce
4 slices fresh mozzarella
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
3-4 basil leaves, torn
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
garlic salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat olive over medium heat, add the onions and red pepper flakes. Cook until tender.
- Add the sauce and basil leaves. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and coat well with garlic salt and pepper.
- Heat grill pan over med/high heat about 3 minutes. Cook chicken approx 4 minutes on each side until no longer pink.
- Place chicken in baking dish, top with sauce then mozzarella.
- Broil for approx 5 minutes or until bubbly.
Wasn't that easy???