I LOVE lemons...seriously...LOVE them. 9 times out of 10 I will order lemons and just eat them with salt while I am waiting for my food...I get this from my Mom because she does the same thing. But they are just SO good, I can't resist. DELISH!
Yesterday, I was craving something lemony...I was browsing through this cookbook and found a recipe for Chicken with a Lemon Caper sauce...and ended up with this...
Kickin' Lemon Chicken
1 package boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 can artichokes, drained and roughly chopped
1 small jar capers, drained
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 large lemons or 3 smaller
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
- Set out two dishes for dredging, one for the flour and one for the egg.
- Pound out the chicken breast until uniform in size. You want them about 1/2 inch thick. Season with salt & pepper on both sides.
- Dredge the chicken in egg mixture on both sides, then the flour.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat, melt the butter and place chicken in the pan and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium and turn chicken over and continue to cook until no longer pink. About 10 minutes. You may have to cook in batches, depending on the size of the breast. You don't want to overcrowd the pan.
- When done, set aside and cover or place in the oven to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the onions and garlic, cook about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the artichokes, capers, fresh lemon juice, chicken stock, white wine, parsley, salt & pepper. Stir together and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Now, to continue on with the lemon theme...I give you Lemon Cake...this recipe comes from my Grandma Shirley. Hi Grandma!
1 box lemon cake mix
1 small package instant lemon pudding
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
2 cups 10x sugar
2 tsp oil
1/3 cup orange juice
For the cake :
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat first 5 ingredients for 8 minutes
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- As soon as you take it out of the oven, poke holes with wooden spoon handle.
For the frosting :
- Mix last three ingredients together well.
- Drizzle over top of cake.
No idea why I had the milk out and notice the cake mix...it says yellow. Yep, my ability to follow directions shines again! It was as lemony as it should have been but still good.
This is the best cake...in my opinion...even my brother loves it and he is SOOOO not a sweets person...at all.
I just got a call on skype from my Nana in Ocala, FL. How cute is that??????????? While I had her on the video chat, I asked her for her banana pudding recipe and it brought back so many delicious memories! I can't wait to make it this weekend and share it with ya'll!
Have a DELICIOUS weekend everyone!