January 27, 2011

Oh my, my...Chicken Pad Thai

WOW...that was my reaction to the pad thai I made last night...not to boast, but it was pretty darn good! I haven't really dabbled in cooking Asian cuisine that much but I LOVE it... I have been telling Matt about this local place called Noodle Alley that I had heard good things about on yelp.com. Needless to say, we still have YET to go there...so when I stopped at the Martin's by my dentist's office the other day, I found they had a great little Asian foods section...stocked up and decided to make my own.

I have absolutely no idea if anything in this dish, besides the noodles, even classifies as an authentic Pad Thai, but hey...we liked it! So, here it goes...

Chicken Pad Thai
1 package pad thai rice sticks
1 package boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 can bean sprouts, drained or 1 cup fresh
1 colored pepper of your choice, sliced( I used orange)
1 med yellow onion, sliced
1 cup shredded carrots
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons ginger paste 
2 teaspoons hoison sauce
3 tablespoons peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, I used crunchy bc that's what I had on hand)
3 tablespoons soy sauce (I use kikkomon low sodium)
siracha hot chili sauce, to taste 
salt & pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 bunch green green onions for garnish, chopped

I tend to add more of the ingredients as I am cooking, so feel free to ad lib!
  • Soak the pad thai rice sticks in warm for 45 minutes. I bought a Sun Luck 13.2oz bag and ended up throwing some away. I think an 8oz package would be fine.
  • For the sauce : mix the hoison, peanut butter, soy & siracha ( we like spicy, so I used roughly a tablespoon) to form a paste. Set aside.
  • When the noodles are done soaking, drain water and set aside.
  • Heat the oil in a wok over HIGH heat for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes then add the onion, bell peppper, carrots and ginger paste. If you are using fresh bean sprouts, put them in as well, if using canned, you will use them in the end. Stir well, add the cover and continue cooking until the chicken & vegetables are done, about 5 minutes.
  • Fold in the noodles, paste & bean sprouts (if using canned). Cook for an additional 2 minutes. 
  • Serve in bowls and garnish with chopped green onions and extra siracha sauce if you dare!!!
Notice the little notes??? I thought I was going to to use the chicken stock & bell pepper but didn't end u needing it!
 Soaking
 Mmm spicy peanut sauce!
 Make sure the Wok is nice and hot
Toss in the chicken & garlic
Must have forgot to take pictures in between before and now but Lookin good!
Tada!

I really hope you all enjoy this as much as we did, especially Matt...
Finishing off his second helping...
I swear, I don't know where that man puts all the food he consumes.
I wish I had his metabolism!

Now onto more important things...

What's for dinner tonight???

I'll let ya know tomorrow...
Have a great evening everyone!













Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...